Sunday, April 1, 2012

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey...

Progress has been slow, but progress nonetheless.  I've lost 2 inches off my waist since the last post but I haven't felt as though I've been losing weight. Perhaps it's moving around? I did get weighed at the doctor's this past week, and confirmed that I've put on 8kgs since December. Sheee-it!!! Doc is worried by the rapid gain. I've had (almost) all the brakes on for a while but it's still been climbing. 


On the positive side, my TSH is on the way back down. After being 5.4 in May last year and 5.1 in December, it's now 3.82. The integrated physician I saw last year wanted me to aim for 2.0 as she uses a very narrow band (as it should be). T4 is 15.4 (don't think that's free T4, not sure I can get that tested here) . The last result I have for this is from about November 2010 at 17.8. I was just looking at the 'normal' range for T4, 9.2 to 23.9, and realised that this was borderline low in my late 20's. I remember a consultation about thyroid, and that the bottom of the range was 9.2 and I was 9.1 or 9.2. The doctor, of course, dismissed this as being in my head (how the f**k does that work?) and not a problem. It clearly was a problem.


The doc didn't retest my iron, but I been having something of a red meat fest (lean beef and chicken livers) following which my energy levels have perked up no end. I guess I was still borderline low and just needed to get on top of it. Anyway, my energy levels are rising so I actually did some exercise today.  I went for a 25 minute walk and followed that up with 3 one minute run, one minute rest cycles to test out that 3 minute exercise theory.  I feel really great. It feels like I have had an hour in the gym, and I've done hardly anything. Best of all, I haven't blown out my knee. Anyway, I'm going to keep up the 3 minute running thing and see how it goes,  and how my knee goes. 


Other dietary stuff: I forgot about sugar, rather my problem with sugar. If I have even a small amount of sugar in my diet, I can't stick to my diet. It makes me crazy with cravings. I started including a little sugar again after I had the major hypoglycaemic attack last year, but forgot to phase it out again.  I've now gotten rid of most of the sugar but still have the yoghurt problem. Yoghurt here is either low fat with sugar or no sugar but full fat and often with cream in it. In fact, it's so creamy that sometimes it just tastes rotten rather than activated by probiotics.  I will have to make my own. In the meantime, I'm having low fat with sugar but this is my only source of this white poison. I've taken to buying a pile of individual yoghurts and throwing them in the freezer.  I turn one out and put it in a nice glass with some passionfruit drizzled over, and then it takes a good 20 minutes of attack to eat it. This has solved one of my big problems with yogurt: a portion is over so quickly it leaves me wanting more. This way by the time I've finished my brain thinks it's had a right old yogurt feast. Other mind/food games trickery I'm employing includes carrots, chewing gum, ice-cubes and green tea made into ice-cubes. Slowly I am defeating the sugar demon. A major bonus with this is that as the sugar is coming under control, my alcoholic tendencies have dried up. Another thing I had forgotten about.


I have one more month left on my 3 month lease and I've decided to move into the main part of the city. It's too isolated for me out here on the edge of town even though I love the peace and quiet and big open areas. It's important I spend more time around friends, but it's not only too far away where I am, it can also be quite dangerous at night so I avoid tuk-tuking after dark. This has severely limited my social life, and is not good for my head space.  I just need to choose an apartment carefully to make sure it's quiet enough for me. Oh, and it has to have a good kitchen.  I would also be very close to the riverside which is great for walking, running, outdoor exercise classes, not to mention all the cafes and restaurants and people watching - believe me, there's a hell of a lot to watch there.


Well, it's back to work tomorrow. I think I've managed to use the break time for some good. I could have been more onto things and more dedicated, but hell I'm coming back from zero motivation to actually running so I can't beat myself up for only getting to that part on the last vacation day.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    Love your blog!

    Have you heard of the int'l thyroid patient petition for better care?: http://www.change.org/petitions/endocrinologists-patients-with-thyroid-dysfunction-demand-better-care?=1&fb_source=message

    Only 8wks old, and has over 3000 signatures of support from 65 countries. Our goal is to every patient aware of this opportunity to self-advocate. We all know we need change and it will take large numbers to effect change.

    We are also trying to unite all of the thyroid bloggers and websites and gain their support to help us strengthen our global network.

    If you can help us reach your members by blogging about us, we will gladly list you as a supporter. https://www.facebook.com/notes/patients-with-thyroid-dysfunction-demand-better-care-petition/websitesblogs-supporting-our-ptd-petition/344493798956111 https://www.facebook.com/notes/patients-with-thyroid-dysfunction-demand-better-care-petition/noteworthy-individuals-supporting-our-ptd-petition/343704432368381

    Here is an interview by Sarah Downing to help you get to know us better: http://sarahjdowning.com/2012/06/05/interview-with-the-initiators-of-the-petition-patients-with-thyroid-dysfunction-demand-better-care/

    Thank you in advance for your support,

    Michelle

    Michelle T. Bickford
    Author
    Patients with Thyroid Dysfunction Demand Better Care
    www.facebook.com/thyroidpetition

    ReplyDelete