Friday, September 24, 2010

Life's a buffet...

...well at least lunch often is in this city. Having recently discovered the phenomenon of the Phnom Penh buffet, I now notice that it's everywhere. For between US$3-5, you can scoff and trough your way through a pretty good selection of Western and Cambodian standards that are well prepared and most importantly, fresh. 


Today, I finally visited a local restaurant called Jacob's Well that I keep meaning to check out but hadn't got around to. For $4.60, I buffeted rather well. The quality was so good that I will go back to check out their salad menu. The place was well patronised and the staff capable and friendly. Like many a place in PP, it's an NGO training restaurant which trains disadvantaged youth in real skills then pays them a proper living wage. I could easily find somewhere for $1 or $1.50 less but then the staff would not be paid a livable wage. And that's the different a dollar makes.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, Jacob's Well is a suburb not far from me in Australia. I doubt you could find a $4.60 buffet there though!

    ReplyDelete