Sunday, June 6, 2010

the weekly weigh/waist in...

The results after being back on plan for 1 week. 
My scales are currently packed in a container sitting at Sihanoukville port, so today will only be a waist measurement.             
              30/05 (start)                 06/06 (today)
waist -   36 inches                   33 inches
weight - ?????                         ???????
Challenges: wine tasting on Friday night - totally failed to control the wine and cheese, they controlled me. May have a bounce back effect this week - oops.

This was much better that expected and back to where I was at before the operation, but also that 36 a week ago was a bit of a shocker. I think, too, that a lot of it has to do with fluid and being properly hydrated, especially in this heat. We're still racking up 35-39C (much higher on the ground though) and although I'm drinking about 4 litres of water a day now, I hardly go to the bathroom. Most of it is sweated out. 

This leads to me on to the very important issue of hydration, heat exhaustion, getting enough mineral salts and alcohol. Avoidance of heat & alcohol, or obsessively calculating the nutritional value of everything are a little OTT whereas a little common sense goes a long way. If you've been out drinking, have tummy troubles or  notice cramps or light headedness, grab a bottle of Pocari Sweat and it will ping you back on your feet in no time. It's a Korean ion replacement drink and when I lived there, it was the go to remedy for everything. There were Western rehydration drinks around like Gatorade but they just didn't cut it by comparison. 'The sweat' as it's fondly referred to, is available at Lucky in PP and I also used to get it at any Korean convenience store in D7, HCMC.


Update - please note that this was a false start and the fact that a back-on-plan week included wine and French cheeses should have been an indication that I was deluding myself [kicks self swiftly in backside]

No comments:

Post a Comment