Saturday, July 31, 2010

it's one of those mornings...

It's all soft and sunny, with a playful little breeze alternately winding itself around my ankles then flicking back the sticky-outy bits of my morning hair. People have done their tai chi, chased their dogs along the street and partaken of the morning gossip accompanied by steaming bowls of broth and noodles.The buzz saws have begun their daily scream through layers of concrete, drills make me think of the dentist, and trucks disgorge cubic metres of concrete as though it was causing something unpleasant inside. All the while hammers, mallets and sledgehammers have begun their daily dance against the structure of the house immediately behind my apartment in their ongoing attempts to take it down.


My work is shortly planning on opening a second branch in north Phnom Penh on the edge of town. Staff are currently being polled for their branch preference. Would I like to work at the new branch? Hell, yes. Apart from escaping a building with serious feng shui issues, it would mean moving to a quiet part of town or even going semi-rural. Hmmmm, dreaming of semi-rural, garden, cats & dogs and oh yes, all those big insect critters that will be chasing me all over the place once they hear there's fresh meat in town. Nothing's perfect, but it would also cost half what I pay in rent to be in the middle of the action, so bring on those big, bad bugs. I can deal.


So, something to look forward to. Not the actual move itself, doing that again so soon after an international move could be termed masochistic, but the mere idea that my poor, assaulted inner calm could potentially be matched by the outer, morning calm of my surrounds fills me with anticipation. Sounds like good therapy for my thyroid too.

No comments:

Post a Comment